Active and passive voice: overview chart

Here is a quick overview of the active and passive voice verb forms.

Tense
Active voice
Passive voice
Simple present tense
Verb form: first form of the verb
Examples
They speak English here.
He speaks English.

Verb form: is / am / are + past participle form of the verb
Examples
English is spoken here.
English is spoken by him.

Present continuous tense
Verb form: is/am/are + -ing form of the verb

Examples
She is writing a letter.
I am learning my lessons.
You are making a cake.
Verb form: is/am/are + being + past participle form of the verb

Examples
A letter is being written by her.
My lessons are being learnt by me.
A cake is being made by you.

resent perfect tense
Verb form: has/have + past participle form of the verb

Examples:

I have written a novel.
She has finished the job.
You have written letters.
Verb form: has/have + been + past participle form of the verb

Examples:

A novel has been written by me.
The job has been finished by her.
Letters have been written by you.
Simple past
Verb form: past tense form of the verb

Examples:
I wrote a letter.
Ram broke a glass.
You missed the chance.
Verb form: was/were + past participle form of the verb

Examples:
A letter was written by me.
A glass was broken by Ram.
The chance was missed by you.

Past continuous tense
Verb form: was/were + -ing form of the verb

Examples
I was learning my lessons.
She was writing a report.
They were making toys.
Verb form: was/were + being + past participle form of the verb

Examples
My lessons were being learnt by me.
A report was being written by her.
Toys were being made by them.

Past perfect tense
Verb form: had + past participle form of the verb

Examples
I had finished the project.
She had learned her lessons.
Verb form: had + been + past participle form of the verb

Examples:
The project had been finished by me.
Her lessons had been learned by her.
Simple future tense
Verb form: will/shall + first form of the verb

Examples
I will finish the job.
She will solve the problem.
Verb form: will/shall + be + past participle form of the verb

Examples:
The job will be finished by me.
The problem will be solved by her.
Future perfect
Verb form: will/shall + have + past participle form of the verb

Examples
I will have finished the job.
She will have solved the problem.

Verb form: will/shall + have + been + past participle form of the verb

Examples
The job will have been finished by me.
The problem will have been solved by her.




No comments

Powered by Blogger.