Adverb of Affirmation and Negation

Adverb of affirmation and negation is an adverb which confirms or denies the action of verb in the sentence. It is also used to reinforce the action of verb. Adverbs of affirmation are like definitely, surely, absolutely, etc however adverbs of denial or negation are like no, can’t, don’t, never, etc.
For example:
I will certainly go to the school. (adverb of affirmation)
I never leave you alone. (adverb of negation)

Adverbs of Affirmation & Adverbs of Negation :


These adverbs are used to answer the questions raised by others.


Adverbs such as 
YES and YEAH are called Adverbs of Affirmation.

Adverbs such as 
NO and NEVER are called Adverbs of Negation.
Examples : 
  1. Do like Sweets?


    • Yes. I like sweets.

    • No. I do not like sweets.
  1. Would you come with me?


    • Yes. I would come with you.

    • No. I would not come with you.
  2. May I call you now?


    • Yes. You may call me now.

    • No. You should not call me now.
  3. Are you ok?


    • Yes. I am ok.

    • No. I am not ok.
  4. Have you taken your exams?


    • Yes. I have taken my exams.

    • No. I have not taken my exams.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.