Relative Adverbs

RELATIVE ADVERBS
Relative Adverbs used to connect the subordinate clause to the main part of the sentence. These are where, when, why. Like the relative pronouns, they are joining words. They are called relative adverbs because they relate or refer to an antecedent (that is, something that has gone before). The antecedent may be clearly stated or understood.
WHERE
This is the restaurant where I have my dinner.
Here the adverb where is used to connect the subordinate clause / have my dinner to the main part of the sentence. The restaurant is the antecedent of the relative adverb where. The antecedent is clearly stated. ‘Where’ can be replaced by at which.
This is the restaurant at which I have my dinner.
But sometimes, the antecedent is only understood and not openly stated.
This is where (=the place at which) I have my dinner.


More Examples
Tell me the office where (=in which) you work.
I don't remember where (=the place at which) I lost my pen.
I visited the city where I grew up.
This is the place where we first met.
This is the store where I bought my books.
Do you know a shop where I can buy used laptops ?
I know the house where he lives.
This is the house where Tanya was born.
WHEN
(a) I remember the day when (=on which) I first saw her.
(b) I cannot forget the years when (=during which) I was at college.
(c) Sunday is when (=the day on which) I go to church/temple, see movie.
In first sentence we can use that in place of when. ‘When’ can also be dropped altogether. eg.
I remember the day (that) I first saw her.
But we cannot replace or omit when in sentence b & c.
More Examples
I remember the day when we first met.
My favorite season is fall, when all the leaves change color.
I don’t know the day when he came.
There was a very hot summer the year when (= in which) he was born.
I can't remember a time when I was so happy.
The most stressful day of the week is Monday, when we go back to work.
My favorite month is always February, when we celebrate Valentine's Day.
WHY
The reason why this man comes here is not clear.
Here why can be replaced with for which. It can also be omitted altogether. eg.
There is no reason why ( = for which) we should meet him.
(here ‘why’ can’t be left out).
More Examples
Tell me why you were late home.
Do you know the reason why the stores are closed today?
I understand the reason why Marry got the lead.
That was one reason why I never wanted to do that again.
I don’t know the reason why Rahul isn’t in class today.
Do you know the reason why Delsy cried?
Tell me (the reason) why you were late home.
(why = for which, but could replace the whole phrase 'the reason for which')
The reason why I didn't call you is that I've lost your cell number.



Relative Adverbs

An adverb tells more about a verb. It can tell how, when, where, or why an action takes place. An adverb is a word that describes a verb, an adjective, another adverb or a sentence. It is often used to show time, manner and place, or degree. 

The relative pronouns where, when, why, whatever and wherever etc. act as adverbs when they join sentences or clauses. Therefore an adverb which introduces a relative clause is called a relative adverb.  
Take these sentences for example:
  • I know the house where he lives.
  • There must be some reason why he cried.
  • Can you tell me how it is done?
  • The day when I met Jane was the best day of my life.
  • That picture was taken in the park where I used to play.
  • Do you want to know why he is angry with Sally?
  • There was a very hot summer the year when he was born.

Here the words where, when, why and how are relative adverbs because they introduce the relative clauses that follow immediately.

What are Relative Adverbs?

Relative adverbs act as subjects or objects inside relative clauses, and at the same time they connect relative clauses to nouns or pronouns in other clauses – rather like conjunctions. The relative adverb when means “in which” or “at which” and is used to refer to a time expression. Noon is the time when we eat lunch. The relative adverb why means “for which” and is used to refer to a reason. I don't know the reason why Larry isn't in class today. The relative adverb when can be replaced by ‘in/on which’Where can be replaced by ‘in/at which’. Why can be replaced by ‘for which’.


A relative adverb is an adverb that introduces an adjective clause.

Where is an adverb of place.

When is an adverb of time.

Why is an adverb of reason.

A relative adverb introduces a group of words, or a clause, that tells more about a noun. Relative adverbs can be used instead of a relative pronoun plus a preposition. There are three main relative adverbs:where, when, and why.


The relative adverb where means “in which” or “at which” and is used to refer to a place.

  • This is the store in which I bought my backpack. (relative pronoun plus preposition)
  • This is the store where I bought my backpack. (relative adverb)  
  • This is the place where we met.

The relative adverb when means “in which” or “at which” and is used to refer to a time expression.
  • Noon is the time when we eat lunch.  
   
The relative adverb why means “for which” and is used to refer to a reason.
  • I don’t know the reason why Pedro isn’t in class today.

Relative Adverbs include a subject and a verb or verb phrase and are introduced by words known as relative pronouns and relative adverbs. These types of pronouns and adverbs are referred to as relative because they relate the clauses to the words they modify. That, who, whom, whose, and which are relative pronouns, and where, when, and why are relative adverbs.

Types of Relative Adverbs

You can identify a relative clause by looking for three main components:

  1. It will contain a subject and a verb.
  2. It will begin with a relative pronoun or relative adverb. ...
  3. The relative clause will function as an adjective, answering questions about the noun, such as: 'Which one?'

Examples of Relative Adverbs?

A relative adverb does not act as the subject or object in the relative clause. It merely replaces an adverb. Mentioned below are examples of Relative Adverbs for better understanding:


  • The seat where we sat last Saturday is still free.
  • I can remember a time when I could eat four hamburgers.
  • We do not know the reason why he left..
  • Let's sit on this seat, where we'll get splashed.
  • I can remember my nineteenth birthday, when I had long hair.
  • Do you know the reason why Ellen left early?
  • The 80s were a time when big hair was considered fashionable.
  • I love casual Fridays, when we get to wear jeans to work.
  • Yesterday was the day when I met my husband for lunch.
  • I do not know the place where she works. 
  • Chicago is the city where Jennifer was born.
  • He is the boy who receives the gold medal. 
  • I want to speak to the person who deals with my account. 
  • The house where Mozart was born is now a museum. 
  • I flew to Munich, where I had to catch another plane to Oslo. 
  • I can't wait for the day when camp starts!
  • I remember the day when the war began. 
  • I will there where I are waiting. 
  • He is the person who paid your fees. 
  • She will rely on those who guide her properly. 
  • This is the temple which has been inducted into the List.
  • I can't remember a time when I was so happy. 
  • I don’t know the reason why he got angry.
  • Do you know the reason why the sky is blue?
  • The most stressful day of the week is Monday, when people go back to work. 
  • The reason why I didn't call you is that I've lost your phone number. 
  • The house where I was born is a very special place.
  • Paris, where I want to live, is the most beautiful city in the world.
  • I’ll always remember the river where we learned to swim.
  • I will never forget the day when I first met Susie.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.